Specialty: Environmental Engineering
Telephone: 86-20-3938 0522
Dr. ZHU is the vice dean of the School of Environment and Energy of South China University of Technology, and the Director of the the Guangdong Environmental Protection Key Laboratory of Solid Waste Treatment and Recycling. He was selected as the New Century Excellent Talents in Universities by Ministry of Education of China in 2012 and Talents of Guangdong Province by Guangdong Education Division in 2014, respectively.
1994-1998Huazhong Agricultural University, Bachelor
1998-2003Huazhong Agricultural University, Ph.D
2003-2006South China University of Technology, School of Environmental Science and Engineering, Assistant Professor
2006-2012South China University of Technology, School of Environmental Science and Engineering, Associate Professor
2012 to presentSouth China University of Technology, School of Environment and Energy, Professor
2010-2011Rutgers University, School of Environmental and Biological Sciences, Visiting Scientist
Recovery of metals from e-wastes, food waste treatment and recycling, sludge treatment and utilization, and microbial fuel cells
2017.5-2020.4Recovery of valuable components from waste liquid crystal panels (Guangdong Provincial Grant in Science and Technology), ¥300,000, PI: Nengwu Zhu.
2016.1-2018.12Municipal sewage sludge treatment (Guangzhou Science and Technology Division), ¥1,000,000, PI: Nengwu Zhu.
2013.1-2016.12Self-anaerobic electrolysis driven by electricigens for removing typic pollutants from swine wastewater and its mechanism (National Natural Science Foundation of China), ¥830,000, PI: Nengwu Zhu.
2012.1-2015.12Bioleaching of metal concentrate of waste printed circuit boards by acidophilic bacterial reactor and its mechanism (National Natural Science Foundation of China), ¥630,000, PI: Nengwu Zhu.
2012.1-2014.12Metals recovery from waste EEE (New Century Excellent Talents in University (Ministry of Education of China), ¥500,000, PI: Nengwu Zhu.
2009.1-2011.12Microbiology of Electricity Generation from Wastewater in a Microbial Fuel Cell (National Natural Science Foundation of China), ¥200,000, PI: Nengwu Zhu.
2008.1-2010.12Molecular Phylogenetic Diversity of Electricity Generation from Wastewater in a Microbial Fuel Cell (Ministry of Education of China), ¥36,000, PI: Nengwu Zhu.
2007.8-2010.8Electricity Recovery simultaneously wastewater treatment in a Microbial Fuel Cell (Guangdong Provincial Grant in Science and Technology), ¥100,000, PI: Nengwu Zhu.
2008.9-2010.8Variation of Microbial Community in Municipal Sewage Composts as determined by Molecular Tools (International Foundation for Science (IFS)), USD $12,000, PI: Nengwu Zhu.
2008.9-2011.8Recovery of Valuable Metals from Waste Printed Circuit Boards by Bioleaching (Guangdong Provincial Grant in Science and Technology), ¥80,000, PI: Nengwu Zhu.
2009.8-2013.12Bio-indication of Petroleum Polluted Soil Bioremediation (Guangdong Provincial Natural Science Foundation), ¥1,200,000. PI: Zhi Dang, Co-PIs: Weilin Huang, Nengwu Zhu, Pingxiao Wu, and Lin Ke.
1. Ying Zhou, Nengwu Zhu*, Naixin Kang, Yanlan Cao, Chaohong Shi, Pingxiao Wu, Zhi Dang, Xiaoping Zhang*, Benqian Qin. Layer-by-layer assembly surface modified microbial biomass for enhancing biorecovery of secondary gold. Waste Management, 2017, 60: 552-560.
2. Chitam Ha, Nengwu Zhu*, Ru Shang, Chaohong Shi, Jiaying Cui, Ihsanullah Sohoo, Pingxiao Wu, Yanlan Cao. Biorecovery of palladium as nanoparticles by Enterococcus faecalis and its catalysis for chromate reduction. Chemical Engineering Journal, 2016, 288: 246-254.
3. Weihang Shen, Nengwu Zhu*, Jiaying Cui, Huajin Wang, Zhi Dang, Pingxiao Wu, Yidan Luo, Chaohong Shi. Ecotoxicity monitoring and bioindicator screening of oil-contaminated soil during bioremediation. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, 2016, 124: 120-128.
4. Nengwu Zhu*, Yanlan Cao, Chaohong Shi, Pingxiao Wu. Biorecovery of gold as nanoparticles and its catalytic activities for 4-nitroaniline degradation. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 2016, 23(8): 7627–7638.
5. Weijia Zhou*,Tanli Xiong, Chaohong Shi, Jian Zhou, Kai Zhou, Nengwu Zhu*. Bioreduction of precious metals by microorganism: efficient gold@N-doped carbon electrocatalysts for the hydrogen evolution reaction. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2016, 128(29): 8556–8560.
6. Hongyan Nie, Chong Yang, Nengwu Zhu*, Pingxiao Wu,Ting Zhang, Yongqing Zhang. Isolation of Acidithiobacillus ferrooxidans strain Z1 and its bioleaching mechanism of copper from waste printed circuit boards. Journal Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, 2015, 90(4): 714–721.
7. Chaohong Shi, Nengwu Zhu*, Yanlan Cao and Pingxiao Wu. Biosynthesis of gold nanoparticles assisted by the intracellular protein extract of Pycnoporus sanguineus and its catalysis in degradation of 4-nitroaniline. Nanoscale Research Letters, 2015, 10: 147-154.
8. Jianjian Huang, Nengwu Zhu*, Tingting Yang,Taiping Zhang, Pingxiao Wu, Zhi Dang. Nickel oxide and carbon nanotube composite (NiO/CNT) as a novel cathode non-precious metal catalyst in microbial fuel cells. Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 2015, 72(10): 332-339.
9. Xiaohu Li, Nengwu Zhu*, Yun Wang, Ping Li, Pingxiao Wu, Jinhua Wu. Animal carcass wastewater treatment and bioelectricity generation in up-flow tubular microbial fuel cells: effects of HRT and non-precious metallic catalyst. Bioresource Technology, 2013, 128: 454-460.
10. Nengwu Zhu*, Xi Chen, Ting Zhang, Pingxiao Wu, Ping Li, Jinhua Wu. Improved performance of membrane free single-chamber air-cathode microbial fuel cells with nitric acid and ethylenediamine surface modified activated carbon fiber felt anodes. Bioresource Technology, 2011, 102(1): 422-426.
11. Nengwu Zhu*, Yun Xiang, Ting Zhang, Pingxiao Wu, Zhi Dang, Jinhuawu, Ping Li. Bioleaching of metal concentrates of waste printed circuit boards by mixed culture of acidophilic bacteria. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 2011, 192(2): 614-619.
12. Yun Xiang, Pingxiao Wu, Nengwu Zhu*, Ting Zhang,Wen Liu, Jinhua Wu, Ping Li. Bioleaching of copper from waste printed circuit boards by bacterial consortium enriched from acid mine drainage. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 2010, 184: 812-818.
13. Nengwu Zhu*. Effect of low initial C/N ratio on the aerobic composting of swine manure with rice straw. Bioresource Technology, 2007, 98(1): 9-13.
14. Yan Guo, Nengwu Zhu*, Changyan Deng, Shuping Zhu. Molecular phylogenetic diversity of bacteria and its spatial distribution in composts. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 2007, 103(4): 1344-1354.
15. Nengwu Zhu*. Composting of high moisture content swine manure with corncob in a pilot scale system. Bioresource Technology, 2006, 97(15): 1870-1875.
16. Nengwu Zhu*, Changyan Deng, Yuanzhu Xiong, Huiyue Qian. Performance characteristics of three aeration systems in the swine manure composting. Bioresource Technology, 2004, 95(3): 319-326.